The final Chambray fabric – this time a rayon blend from my fabric.com order. I love this fabric. And this dress… not so much. I knew I wouldn’t like it but I made it regardless. I loved the bodice and sleeve pleats and I thought I would try out the empire waistline look on me. Try. Ok, I’ve tried – not doing empire waists ever again.
I made a size 42 with no alterations. Something about Deer and Doe just fits me very well! The bodice and skirt are lined with a black rayon bemberg. Of all my chambray makes, this is the least casual looking one. I haven’t had many opportunities to wear it, but it really is comfortable and I should give it more chances to let the empire waist grow on me.
It’s got pockets, so another plus there. I think, in the future, I will play around with lengthening to the bodice. While the bodice has the obvious pleats, the skirt is also made up of 8 inverted box pleats. It’s a really straightforward make, plus I made it at least a year ago… so apologies for not having much to say about the construction. I also haven’t worn it out enough either. Maybe 2017 will be the Aubepine’s time to shine a bit more!
Right now it has a piece of silk ribbon for the drawstring waist tie, but I’ve been on an unsuccessful hunt for a thin black velvet ribbon to replace it instead. Back to the fabric – now that I’ve worked with 3 different variations of Chambray, in the future I will be purchasing chambray blends only. The 100% cotton McCall’s 6885 chambray dress I made I love, but man do I prefer the tencel and rayon chambray blends I used for the Deer and Doe Sureau and Aubepine. They are softer, drapier, and have this slight sheen that I love. Looks like I’ll have to place another fabric order soon… a red chambray is something that is missing from my wardrobe!